Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Sleeping Baby

The night before last Joe was night fishing and came in quite late. The dogs went crazy to protect our home before realizing who was pulling in. So at 2am I got quite the adrenaline rush that left me awake in the middle of the night long after my dear hubby and sweet baby (and the dogs) were sound asleep.
Having little to do in the quiet, I had plenty of time to read and reflect. This time of pondering made me quite thankful for my little family and all that God has blessed me with. As I snuck back to the bedroom I could hear the deep steady breathing of my husband echoed by the soft shorter breath of my peaceful baby. I climbed into bed as gently as I could, but Sabin stirred and began mumbling softly. This to me is like music in the night, so sweet and precious. I pulled him to me to nurse and he was drifting off before I finished arranging the covers.
For many minutes I laid there snuggling my naked little boy enjoying the smell of his soft downy head.  He is growing so fast. Not even truly a baby anymore, but a toddler. How quick time is going by. I am consciously trying to enjoy these moments; I know they are fleeting. In spite of my tight grip from day to day, time still sifts through my fingers. He now has games that he prefers to play without me, little games that mommy just doesn't understand. He puts food into his own mouth now, instead of needing me to do it.  He'll run by me for his daddy and it is bittersweet. I am keenly aware that each day my little one is growing further away from his dependence on me to become the man that God has already planned.  But in this moment, he snuggles tight against my tummy. He wraps his both his hands around my fingers and he is mine - my tiny child - completely dependent on his mama. I hang on to this moment, breathing it in along with the scent of his hair. Too soon I will not have this time with my precious Sabin. I want to enjoy it while it is mine to enjoy.
I am so thankful to have this little boy in my bed. Thankful that Joe too, would prefer this sleeping arrangement over any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment