r our home where they are great condition for much cheaper than buying new. We usually get a couple before going out to eat. Currently he has about ten. I buy only "good" books. Already, I am careful about what he reads. I ask myself what each book will teach my child, including underlying messages. For example, I don't buy him dinosaur books, because I havn't found one that has Creation as the background. I don't want him to read Berentein Bears because the Bible teaches that the husband/father is to be honored. Sabin is such a sponge, learning more than even I realize. I try to choose books that are not without content. This is tough for my young tot at this point, but I want him to learn something from the books.
I am also particular about the art in the book. I want good illustrations. Our books have photographs, lifelike drawings and cartoon type illustrations, but in my opinion the pictures are clean and easy to look at. Sabin stares at these for a long time, turning the pages back and forth.
We read quite often now. Especially while on the potty and before going to bed. Last week I put the books down on a shelf where he can get to them on his own. He finally stopped trying to chew them apart, and will spend time quietly "reading" on his own. I am teaching him how to put them away when he is finished with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment