From the first days after I found out I was carrying twins I began hearing a common mantra, "Just survive the first year." "The first year is all about survival." But I bucked that advice immediately. From deep within my heart I cried, "I don't want to just survive for an entire year. I don't have a year to waste in survival mode." I didn't have any ideas on what that would mean. I didn't dare even hope that I might thrive in that first year. But I knew I couldn't just survive it.
Just for kicks one day I looked up the words "survive" and "thrive" in the dictionary.
Survive Thrive
get on get ahead
sustain grow
persist prosper
go all the way advance
It occurred to me that the words weren't really the opposites that they were in my mind. And I got to thinking that maybe the only difference was my perspective. This morning I read a blog post by Sarah Mackenzie that is sort of along the same lines. She quoted a friend of hers in saying that the difference between surviving and thriving is the act of savoring...there is always something sweet to lean into.
We did more than survive this past year. And many days we have thrived. I thank God for this season. This wild and crazy season with His grace right in the midst of it.
Peacefully BuZzInG!
Misty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment