"I am a princess." I smiled at her.
"Mama, are you really?!" her eyes bright and shining now.
"Yes, I am," I told her. "I'm the daughter of the King and that makes me a princess."
"A real true king?" she asked then.
"Yes, really. The King of kings, God Himself, and He says that whoever puts their trust in His Son get to be one of His children." I waited to see how she would take this tidbit. A moments pause, then she wiggled in her chair, followed by a giggle of delight.
"Really, Mama?! Wow. I want to be one of His princesses too."
She chewed thoughtfully for a moment. Then asked, "but Mama, why don't you have any princess clothes?"
On any other day, how would I answer this? But oh for grace.... Just the morning before I read the verses in Isaiah 61:1-3
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified."
Which got me thinking about other gifts that can be worn like a garment. For a moment, I wondered if my little girl would just roll her eyes at me. But I plunged in sharing excitedly about the beautiful dresses of love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, self-control (Gal 5:22-23). Then of the lovely dresses of tender mercies, kindness, humility, forbearance, and forgiveness (Col. 3:12-17). You know what? This precious child of mine caught my excitement. It was like I was telling her the story of a fairy princess, but this was true. She loved it.
We talked long about our dresses and how sometimes we choose to where ugly rags of grumpiness, or meanness instead of our lovely gowns of praise and kindness.
Days later we continue to chat about those dresses. What are we wearing today? And maybe we could make dresses that remind us of our princess garments...
Peacefully BuZzInG
Misty
No comments:
Post a Comment