Friday, July 15, 2011

Outgrowing Nursing

In the past 48 hours, I have nursed my child for less than 2 minutes. Growth--it's bittersweet. Two nights in a row he fell asleep without nursing (no crying or whining, just held my hand as he drifted off) and during the day he's been just too busy to ask.

The 2-minute exception occurred when he fell on the concrete skinning both knees. He bravely walked into the house and sat on a chair so that I could investigate. Not too bad, but both were bleeding slightly. I applied na-na milk (my go-to-cure-all) on the right, then the left knee. "More on this one," he cried, pointing to the right. So I dabbed on a little more. To which he replied, "It doesn't hurt any more." Then he asked to nurse. But it was only for a minute: we had play plans and he was excited to meet up with his friends.

Sometimes I wonder what I will do when the milk is all gone. And yet I see us already beginning to grow beyond this stage.... I am in awe over this process--truly. I have nursed this child for 4 years, 3 months, and 13 days thus far. We have nursed through teething, illness, toddlerhood, pregnancy and along with his little sister. Even now, while pregnant with my 3rd, I am not interested in cutting him off. However this, like all of life, is a process. We each grow and change.

Peacefully BuZzInG,
Misty

Ps - He nursed for fifteen minutes when he awoke this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment